Growing the Crewbase in Ireland Sustainably
Sat 09 July 2022 / Galmont Hotel – Veranda Lounge / 14:00 – 16:00
Figures published earlier this year by Screen Ireland revealed a record-breaking spend of €500 million in the Irish economy across screen sector production in 2021, the highest ever achieved. However, it was also a challenging year due to crew shortages, and concerns around stress, mental health and wellbeing on set.
With current studios in Ireland expanding and new studios planned for the future, how do we continue to grow the crewbase in Ireland, while ensuring we do this in a sustainable way? This the question we will explore over the course of two panel discussions.
The first panel will discuss growing the crewbase with a focus on the value of the new competency framework for the development of crew; the importance of structured work-based learning for building the skills of the crewbase; the merit of certification/accreditation for work-based learning; and the necessity for clear access routes and progression opportunities to build an open and transparent sector with equal opportunities for all.
Panel 1 Guests will include:
- David Collins (Producer at Samson Films)
- Emer MacAvin (Skills Exec for S481 and Work-Based Learning at Screen Ireland)
- Eoin Holohan (Locations Manager and Screen Ireland Board Member)
- Jess Drum (CEO at Screen Guilds of Ireland)
The second panel will discuss growing the crewbase with a focus on wellbeing on set; positive work environments; attracting new people into the industry; retaining crew already in the industry; the balance between indigenous production and incoming production; growing regional production; and the importance of a diverse and inclusive crewbase.
Panel 2 Guests will include:
- Ailish Bracken (Producer and Chairperson at Raising Films Ireland)
- Ann Marie Shields (Director at Minding Creative Minds)
- Fran Keaveney (Skills Exec for Film & TV Drama at Screen Ireland)
- Max Brady (Executive Producer at Pull The Trigger & Maxfilms)
The two panels will be moderated by Elaine Geraghty (Managing Director Ardmore and Troy Studios).
The session will be introduced by Gareth Lee (Skills Manager at Screen Ireland).
The new Screen Guilds Ireland/Screen Ireland Competency Framework for crew will be officially launched at this event. The panels will be followed by some light refreshments and an opportunity to network.